Sunday, February 21, 2016

Ideas for mini-skein yarn packs

It is sunny at my home and I hope you are experiencing the same. Time to move past Winter winds, ice and snow and on to some sunnier weather. Sunshine increases creativity!

Two weeks ago I wrote about the mini-skein yarn pack craze. Mini-skeins are packs of yarn that contain 4 to 6 (or more) small skeins of yarn in colors that work together. Most packs contain yarns of very different colors but others are "gradients" meaning that each small skein of yarn is in the same color family but ranges in intensity.

I received a number of inquires in the shop, on Facebook, and via email from knitters who asked me to provide some photos and suggestions on what to knit with them. I am very glad to oblige and I hope my enthusiasm for them shows through in these photos. In the last blog post I listed a few pattern suggestions, so please refer to it for more ideas. I'm in the shop most Saturdays, so please don't hesitate to stop in and ask me more questions. You are also welcome to email me at luvsockknitting@hotmail.com

Here are photos of three very different projects I'm knitting from mini-skein sets that each contain five small skeins of yarn. Now that I'm writing this blog and have the photos taken I can finish them! They will be on display in the shop as they are completed. All of my mini-skein sets are from Wonderland Yarns in Brattleboro, VT. The yarn is soft, beautifully dyed, and there is huge yardage in each pack.

In addition to using the sets alone, consider combining them with a large complimentary skein of Wonderland Yarn. The projects in these photos are all knit in fingering weight. Also in stock are a few combo packs of sport weight with a full skein of complimentary yarn. There are so many possibilities ... let your creativity go wild!

Spring is just around the corner so I chose this lovely pack to knit the always popular side-to-side shawl "Hitchhiker." I just started the second color.

I can't wait to get to these other colors ....


These just scream Spring and this will be perfect for a cool evening.

Do you need a lovely, easy-to-knit quick gift? Mother's Day is just around the corner.


Thorne Cowl has a unique way of using the five colors. Four are the main cowl sections, while the fifth divides and accents the design. I can't wait to finish this one!


I'm getting close ... only two colors to go!

I love this pattern -- Kalari Shawl. It is such an easy knit. I chose a pack of mini-skeins in some of my favorite colors. I will have this completed before Autumn...I think these are rich Autumn looking colors. But, pick any color combo and start knitting! Make the design your own.


I just keep knitting with the new color as the previous ends.


Breath-taking color combination....

The women at Wonderland Yarns are creative and have a fabulous eye for color. I also look forward to their new combinations.

If you are hesitant to start but really want to knit with a pack of mini-skeins, please stop in and see me. I will gladly help you get started and guide you through your journey.

Until next time...

No comments: